Banner

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Rain drops keep falling on my head...


But that doesn't mean my eyes will soon be turning red. Cryings not for me! Cause I’m never going to stop the rain by complaining; because I’m free, nothing’s worrying me!

At least, that’s what I was thinking Saturday when we left with plans to begin the task of installing our metal roofing in two weeks.

You see, we’ve been working on setting the posts, trusses, and adding the rafters for about 2 ½ weeks.
 It’s been a slow process, as Colt has been doing much of it by himself while I stand by with WL on my hip and the cell phone in my hand. {Just in case that amazing man was to misjudge the scaffolding and fall the 16 ft to the ground! I shudder to think of such a happenstance!}


So on Saturday, when my lovely sis-in-law brought her just-as-lovely hubster out to help us work on the fascia board, we were pretty excited! After getting rained out for part of the day, then just sitting around “vistin’” for quite a while {vistin’- Appalachian-American  method by which to say “visiting,” usually means spending time with others for no particular reason other than enjoying said others’ company. Synonyms include ‘shooting the breeze’, ‘catching up’, and ‘watching the grass grow together’.} , we finally decided that the best course of action would be to gather 4-5 guys, plan a big cookout, and shoot for completing the roof in one day. That one day would need to be in about 2 weeks, as giving all the guys good notice would be key to getting them together at the same time!

We shared out hugs and kisses and then parted ways for the day, after grabbing a late lunch together and a tasty Mexican place in Fort Payne {Yum!}.

The following day Colt and I had already planned to meet our best-couple-friends India and Justin to get some things done at the property together and commence to getting some more vistin accomplished.

We got to our rural paradise around 10:30 am, with Wyatt done with his first nap of the day and both men raring to go. They completed the fascia board that my Mr. and his bro-in-law had started-but-didn’t-finish the day before. Before I knew it, Colt was handing Justin a sheet of metal.

Wait! What?!

We weren’t going to start that for another 2 weeks—remember?! We needed time to gather a small army of men and groceries!

Up goes another sheet of metal.

I couldn’t believe it! They were just handing it, piece by piece to each other, and screwing it all down. What did they think they were going to do? Install the entire roof in one day, by their lonesomes, with seemingly no help to speak of?

Yep.

And they did just that!
 
9ish hours later, they had completed the roof. Both men claimed they just hid a rhythm and decided to keep going. At around 8:30 pm, we had loaded all the kids up in their respective cars and were ready to go home.

Both men were dead-tired and for good reason! India and I had shared a great day of vistin and the kids had played themselves into 4 light comas!
 
It was a very accomplished weekend—especially since it had started as a dreary, rainy Saturday.

Of course, we still owe Justin and India a dinner—but we welcome a reason to get together with them! We don’t get to see each other enough as it is!





As for the raindrops-they will no longer be falling on my head! Because, remember, I’m worry-free with my new metal roof!

Kiddos :-)
|MrsG


No comments:

Post a Comment