Banner

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

{not} Beef Stroganov


Stoganov 015


Somewhere there’s a babushka rolling over in her grave.  I’m almost positive she’s shaking her fist at me for calling this dish Beef Stroganov.

For one thing, I don’t use actual beef.

And I do realize that the actual dish contains sour cream {not the cream o’ mushroom I use}. But this one doesn’t.


But alas, it’s what the ground beef helper {you know who} has taught me to call it. That’s what I was trying to replicate when I created this.

Anyway, it’s delicious, none the less, and the perfect comfort food on a crisp fall evening.

Stoganov 017

You need:
1 lbs. ground turkey (or beef, or chicken)
garlic powder (to your own taste)
onion powder (to your own taste)
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 can cream of mushroom
1 package egg noodles

From the freezer, I pull my package of ground turkey. Sure you could thaw it ahead of time… but who’s got time for that? I used to, but I quickly learned how to use my defrost setting on my microwave after I went back to work fulltime.

Pop that package into the microwave and thaw it out. While that’s thawing, go ahead and begin boiling water for your noodles.

Brown the meat, then add in the garlic and onion powders and the soy sauce. Stir. If you haven’t already, add your noodles to your boiling water.

Stoganov 001

Stir in the cream of mushroom soup, with only 1/2 the water the can calls for (so if it calls for 1 can of water, just pour in 1/2 a can instead). I usually use my whisk while this comes back up to a boil, just to promote the distribution of water vapor thereby thickening the mixture up a bit.

Stoganov 005

Once your noodles are tender, stir it into your creamy mixture.

Stoganov 011

Serve and enjoy. We always pepper our own dishes, so you should remember that also. Between the soy sauce and the cream of mushroom, no one ever salts theirs.

Stoganov Title



|MrsG

No comments:

Post a Comment